Another snippet of a flash

Here's another snippet of a flash fiction I've been working on. I think it's about ready. For those of you who aren't familiar with my family, it's more or less autobiographical.


The Molten Core

My father was a man of stone and earth. His figure and face seemed square or rough as if chiseled by a sculptor only half done. Even his nature was quiet and steady, preferring to reflect before acting, growling before barking. He was a geologist, and I can’t remember a time when there wasn’t dirt beneath the crescents of his fingernails or mud tracing the treads of his boots. We spent family vacations visiting canyons, geysers, and mountain ranges. “Look,” he would say, directing our attention to a valley formed by the creeping movement of glaciers thousands of years ago. “Isn’t that amazing?”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I graduated from Knox College with a BA in Creative Writing and Psychology. I currently attend the Chatham University MFA program in creative writing. Right now, I am trying to discover how to be a writer even outside of school.